Sunday, October 27, 2013

Lemon bars


Ever since I discovered the ease of making pastries and sweets, I have tremendously reduced the urge to buy pre-packaged baked goods (read processed) at the grocery store. Homemade baked goods are so much more fulfilling, natural, and I get to control the amount of sweetness I get, which I'm quite picky about.

Lemon bar is my recent favorites in the kitchen. They give the perfect balance of buttery goodness in the crust and the right amount of tang in the custard part. They also transport very well, and has been a crowd pleaser on those days when I bring them in to my coworkers. A caveat to note when transporting them—If you want them to look pretty with the confectioners sugar on top, you have to bring your sugar and a small strainer along. Sprinkle lemon bar with confectioners sugar over the strainer JUST BEOFRE you serve them. I learned this the sad way, I pre-sprinkled them before I left the house. By the time I took them out for sharing, the pretty sugar has already melted. Don't make the same mistake I did!

I used Ina Garten's recipe, with modifications. For the crust, I used 1/3 cup of sugar; for the custard I used 1 & 3/4 cup sugar. I always reduce the amount of sugar listed on recipes by 30% and it usually comes out perfect to my liking, also less guilt while devouring them. I'll be sure to be making a lot more of these for the parties and gatherings in the holiday season.







No comments :

Post a Comment